Matthew began studying martial arts at the age of 10. He has trained extensively with Japanese Jujitsu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and has also trained with various martial arts styles such as , Boxing, Karate and Kickboxing / Muay Thai.
Matthew has also worked as a security officer and crowd controller in various entertainment venues and events. This has given him the opportunity to see what types of Martial Arts techniques are most effective in dealing with aggressive people who were often larger and heavier than himself.
Matthew still actively studies Martial Arts acquiring knowledge about modifications and techniques. He continues to enhance our Martial Arts program and pass these new skills on to his students.
- 3rd Degree Black Belt Japanese Jujitsu
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt (Machado Jiu Jitsu under Vince Perry)
- NCAS Level 3 Coach Jujutsu (Australian Sports Commission)
- NCAS Level 2 Coach Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Australian Sports Commission)
- NOAS Level 1 Official (Australian Sports Commission)
- Level 1 general coach (TAFE CN418).
- Instructional Skills (TAFE CN404).
- Blue card issued by the Commission for Children and Young People.
- 9 years instructing at Police Citizens Youth Clubs.
- First Aid & Resus trained.
- Instructing Martial Arts since 1996.
- 10 years as a full time & part time professional crowd controller & security officer.
Some recent competition record
- 2005 Australian Federation Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Queensland Titles gold medalist.
- 2006 Australian BJJ Champion. Blue Belt
- 2007 Australian Jujitsu Team (World Jujitsu Titles Jersey, Channel Islands)
- 2008 Asia Pacific Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Silver Medal (purple belt division).
- 2010 Australian Jujitsu Team captain (World Jujitsu Titles Las Vegas, USA)
- 2010 World Jujitsu Championships. Grappling gold medal (Las Vegas, USA)
- 2010 World Jujitsu Championships. Sport Jujitsu individual silver medal (Las Vegas, USA)
- 2016 World Masters Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Championships Las Vegas (Black Belt division)
- 2016 Machado Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Asia Pacific Championships. Silver and bronze medals